Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wall Drug!

Well, I really wanted to stop at the largest ball of twine. Apparently there is some debate about who can rightfully claim that honor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_ball_of_twine. At any rate, Rich didn't share my enthusiasm, so no pictures of me next to a big twine ball.

Instead, we visited Wall Drug. For those of you who aren't familiar with Wall Drug, it's in Wall, South Dakota. A dusty town in the middle of nowhere. It's a fabulously cheesy tourist trap that started as a regular pharmacy and gradually expanded to a place that is, I'm sure, beloved by Japanese tourists. I'll provide the Wikipedia link, so you can get some good dry facts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug. You should also check out their own website because it captures more of the true flavor. I love that the left sidebar categorizing their wares includes a separate link for jackalopes. Of course it does. http://www.walldrug.com/

Here are a couple of shots inside and out:




Here we are modeling a few of the items that the Japanese tourists must love. Don't all Americans own cowboy hats and boots? If not, then we're all just fooling ourselves, pretending to be too cool.





In addition to the acres of stuff for sale, there are some priceless items not for sale. Rich found a couple of things that caught his eye.



To be fair to Rich (because I know how much he appreciates "The Painted Lady"), I'll end with one making me look silly.



Ok, this post is long enough. Take care y'all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who's the cute blonde with Rich?? lol. I like the one with the buffalo!! Was that alive or stuffed? :). You know we all wear cowboy boots in AZ I mean come on now...haha.

Unknown said...

I actually didn't realize you were serious about the ball of twine...although I'm uncertain if that would have changed my opinion or not....................!